Monday, December 1, 2008

Introduction

December 24th, 1988

I'm writing this, not because I feel obligated, but because I believe the world deserves to know their stories other than myself. They never chose this life, I chose it for them and after that, they were stuck. Trapped even. Either way they never had enough guts to even try to get out so I never felt guilty. They were my freaks and I, their ringmaster. I made them famous for their disgusting disfigurements and they still hated me. But that is what I wanted all along, power. I wanted all of my freaks to hate and fear me because I knew that no matter what, they would stay with me because I was the only one in the entire world who made them feel even remotely special. They were special. Every single one of them.
Now and again I begin to pity them. Sure, I put them through some really tough challenges but they all came through every time.. All but one.. This is why I am writing this journal, so the world may learn of their struggles and appreciate them for what they truly were. Human beings. They were my family for 40 years and not a day goes by that I do not think of them. I never apologized, and I do not feel the need to. I took in a terrible group of misfits with no future and I made them stars and they repay me by.. Well.. You will see.. I gave them all the chances that they never dreamed of having and they still never thanked me.
Some say it is because the abuse or the cramped living quarters or the many days with no food. I think that I worked far too hard to experience such disrespect from a group of ingrates. Never trust a freak they say, and I agree. Anyway, I must get this off my chest. I have been holing it in for far too long. However, I must warn you now that these are not your run of the mill "happy stories". Every individual will have a different reaction. I do not want them to make you happy, I want them to inform you. I want them to teach you of a world that you will, hopefully, never have to experience. If you want to read stories of the wonderful thrill of the carnival, look elsewhere because this will not be your cup of tea.
You may think that I am the villain right now, but I loved them all and sooner or later, you will see it my way.

No comments: